web analytics
Connect with us

NEWS

95 Ghanaian nurses arrive in Barbados

Published

on

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

About 95 nurses from Ghana were shuttled off a chartered flight into the Grantley Adams International Airport on Thursday. The 95 Ghanaian nurses arrived via Azores Airlines.

The chartered flight was scheduled to arrive at 5.50 pm. Prior to the arrival, originally it was communicated that the cohort of nurses would arrive earlier this week.

The nurses went straight into the Gate 14 area after sanitizing their hands and going through the thermal scanning.

The direct flight to Barbados came out of Accra, Ghana. The Ghanaian nurses are initially on a two-year contract. Sharing this was Nursing Officer Lorraine Atopley.

Speaking on behalf of the contingent from Ghana, she said: “Thank you very much for welcoming us and greetings from her President Nana Akufo-Addo and all the human resources personnel from the Ministry of Health (in Ghana), greetings from them.”

Of the 95 nurses, it is almost a 50-50 split with 49 women and 46 men signing on to assist with healthcare locally.

She said that the team of nurses hopes to have “good interactions” with the patients “for the next two or more years.”

When she added “or more,” there was laughter and cheers from her colleagues and Barbados’ Minister of Health Lt Col Jeffrey Bostic, Minister of Tourism Senator Lisa Cummins along with other officials from both their ministries.

Atopley also added: “We promise to work hard to deliver good service to everyone and be at peace with everyone.”

Bostic told the media: “These nurses will be working at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital as well as the primary healthcare sector, that is the Geriatric Hospitals and polyclinics.”

He said that they have arrived at a very opportune time with the global COVID-19 pandemic unfolding.

“But that is not the only thing that we have to deal with as a Ministry of Health, we have the remainder of the healthcare sector to take care of even though we are fighting this battle and your presence here today and certainly when you start to work in a couple weeks time would enhance our capacity to deliver the quality of healthcare services that we have been doing for years, and that we will continue to do, and even though we have to divert some of our efforts to fighting COVID, we are now in a better position to deal with the remainder of the healthcare system in Barbados.

“And we are very happy for you.”

Asked about COVID-19 pre-testing, Atopley said: “We had the testing done for us, so we know we are all safe, but coming here we are going to continue testing just to be safe [. . .]

“We are going to be safe while we are here.”

The cohort of nurses from Ghana is a continuation of relations between Ghana and Barbados since mid-June 2019 when Ghana’s President Nano Akufo-Addo visited the island. On June 14, when he landed at the Grantley Adams International Airport he received a 21-gun salute and was met by Prime Minister Mia Mottley and a welcoming party of government officials.

Source: 3 News

BLOGGER! EVENT & RADIO DJ! ONLINE INFLUENCER! IG@ KOFI_MODERN! TWITTER@ MODERNNEWSGH! TELE:0277301540

Advertisement

NEWS

Schools not reopening September — Education Ministry

Published

on

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The Ministry of Education says there are no immediate plans to reopen schools from next month for full academic activities.

Consequently, it has called on the public to ignore reports to that effect.

“The ministry will like to state categorically that aside from final-year students who are in school, the public should disregard reports going round that all other students would go to school in September,” the Chief Director of the Ministry of Education (MoE), Mr Benjamin K. Gyasi, said in Accra yesterday.

Schools have remained closed in Ghana since March 16 due to the outbreak of COVID-19.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Anas set date to release another expose themed “cashing in on covid”

Published

on

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Undercover journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas has released a date for his much-awaited expose themed, “Cashing in on Covid” to expose those who made undue profits from the pandemic.

The Journalist earlier released a piece captioned, ‘corona quacks’ in which he targeted fake doctors who claimed to have found effective cures for covid-19; an expose which attracted a backlash from many who thought it was too ordinary to be a product of undercover journalism.

The set date for the new release is August 10, 2020 and many will still be awaiting something worthy as has been the nature of most of his previous works across the African continent.

The Expose’ will be premiered on BBC’s African Eye; it is not clear it will be limited to only Ghana or the continent as a whole.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Akufo-Addo Orders GES To Recall 14 Dismissed WASSCE Students

Published

on

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

It has emerged that President Nana Addo Danquah Akufo-Addo has directed the Ghana Education Service(GES) to grant clemency to all the 14 final year students who have been dismissed, Ghanaxtra can report exclusively.

This portal is reliably informed that President Akufo-Addo has taken notice of the decision by the Ghana Education Education but has directed a review of the decision.

According to a source at the Presidency, the President despite the gravity of the offense by the students does not want their education to be truncated.

The source reveals that the President wants the GES to find an alternative punishment for the students instead of barring them from the ongoing West African Certificate Examination(WASSCE).

The source added that the President wants his vision of ensuring that every Ghanaian child possesses the Senior High School certificate fulfilled hence the order for clemency.

Meanwhile, this portal is reliably informed that the GES has been duly informed by the president’s request and steps are being taking in that regard.

The Ghana Education Service (GES) yesterday dismissed 14 students for acts of indiscipline in the 2020 West African Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (WASSCE).

The affected students are from the Battor Senior High School, Sekondi College, Juaben Senior High School, and Tweneboa Kodua Senior High School.

A statement from the Ghana Education Service revealed that the affected students have been barred from writing their remaining papers.

Below are the affected students

1.Nicholas Cobbinah` – Sekondi College 2.Kardimell Suapim- Sekondi College
3.John Kwofie- Sekondi College
4.Simon Ameyibor (Senior Prefect) – Tweneboah Koduah SHS
5.Thomas Anokye – Tweneboah Koduah SHS
6.Juliet Amoakowaa – Tweneboah Koduah SHS
7.Emmanuel Ashiangmor – Battor SHS
8.Peter Sissi – Battor SHS
9.Ameka Nyamiitse – Battor SHS
10.Shadrack Daitey – Battor SHS
11.Alfred Attiso – Battor SHS
12.Solomon Brako – Juaben SHS
13.Albert Agyekum – Juaben SHS
14.Robert  Inkoom – Juaben SHS

Continue Reading

Trending