web analytics
Connect with us

NEWS

Coronavirus: American arrested for entering Ghana illegally

Published

on

An American who illegally crossed into Ghana through the Aflao border in the Volta Region has been arrested and placed under mandatory quarantine for the next 14 days.

He was said to have flown through neighbouring Togo on March 20, just two days before Ghana announced suspension of flights into the country and closure of all its borders on the back of the outbreak of the deadly novel coronavirus.

“All our borders; by land, sea and air, will be closed to human traffic for the next two weeks beginning midnight on Sunday,” President Nana Akufo-Addo announced at the weekend, explaining the decision o “limit and stop the importation of the virus; contain its spread; provide adequate care for the sick”.

Deputy Comptroller General in charge of Operations, Laud Kwasi Ofori-Afrifa, has revealed the because of the closure people were now trying to enter Ghana through the landed borders especially through the Volta Region.

In the case of the American, Mr Ofori-Afrifa said: “He was attempting to circumvent the suspension of flights”.

At a news briefing in Accra Tuesday to update Ghanaians on the successes of the border closure since Sunday, Mr Ofori-Afrifa said he suspects the man, whose details have not been given, colluded with immigration officials in Ghana and Togo, saying “We believe collusion from officers across”.

The deputy Comptroller General said the suspect tested for coronavirus and the result came out negative but indicated health officials will quarantine him for 14 days.

“He is under arrest, detention and is being sent to mandatory quarantine,” he said.

A determination on what action to take against him after the quarantine period, he said “will be announced in consultation with the legal authority” later.

Ghana’s covid-19 situation

A total of 52 cases have been confirmed so far with two deaths and no recovery.

Ghana on Tuesday recorded its highest cases ever since the first two cases were recorded on March 12. A total of 25 Ghanaians under mandatory quarantine tested positive for the virus that has triggered a global health crisis.

The 25 were part of 1,030 Ghanaians who have mandatorily been quarantined at different locations in Accra by the government since arriving in the country from midnight of Sunday, March 22 following the shutdown of the country’s entry points to non-citizens.

Health personnel have so far managed to take samples from 611 of the total number of people quarantined of which results for 185 have been processed and released.

“Out of the 185 test results received, we have 25 of those quarantined tested positive. If we add on to the earlier number of 27, it means we have 52 tested positives in our country at the moment,” Health Minister Kwaku Agyemang-Manu told journalists Tuesday.

Results of 426 people are outstanding.

Mr Agyemang-Manu said those who tested positive have been handed to the case management teams and are being sent to isolation centres for treatment otherwise known as case management, noting they have deployed psychologists to have a chat with them.

Source: 3news.com

 

NEWS

Armed Robbers Storm Obuasi Lenclay Sports Stadium(VIDEO)

Published

on

The home grounds of Ghana Premier League giants AshantiGold SC was raided by armed robbers who made away with lighting equipment worth $172,000.

The robbery incident is a major setback to the quest of the club to win the  2020 Ghana Premier League, which is set to begin in two weeks time, as well as the CAF Confederation Cup.

Investigations have however commenced by the Police in Obuasi, though no arrests have been made yet.

The incident which was reported by management of the club, indicated that, the thieves cut the cables meant to be used for electrical works on the flood light and other essential cables at the Len Clay stadium.

AngloGold Ashanti Company Limited, the mining company that owns the community club, have been called in to assess the damage caused by the robbery.

AshantiGold SC are set host Karela United FC at the same venue in the opening day of the 2020/2021 Ghana Premier League on 15 November 2020.

Watch video below

Continue Reading

NEWS

Every Ghanaian Will Have To Pay GH¢10,000 To Settle Debt Incurred By Akufo-Addo – Sammy Gyamfi

Published

on

Sammy Gyamfi, the Communication Officer of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), has said that every Ghanaian will have to pay GH¢10,000 to settle the debt accrued by the Akufo-Addo Administration.

At the NDC’s weekly press briefing on Wednesday, he asked electorates to “ignore government’s deceptive semantics about Ghana’s catastrophic debt position.”

According to him, the NDC would expose all of the lies of the Akufo-Addo administration and set the record straight, including currently indebting Ghanaians.

He also noted that the constant and never-ending borrowing of funds by the government had increased the national debt per person ratio.

“Per our current total public debt of ¢258.8 billion as at June 2020…every Ghanaian in Ghana today is indebted to the tune of about ¢10,000,” he stated.

“President Akufo-Addo has added more debt; a whopping ¢138 billion and still counting to Ghana’s public debt in only three and half years, far more than any government has done in the history of this country, and far more than all successive governments since independence,” Mr Gyamfi said.

He also added that even with the Heavily Indebted Poor Country (HIPC) status in 2001, the debt-to-GDP ratio of 61% cannot be compared to the current debt ratio held by the country.

“Indeed, our current debt position is worse than where we were when we joined the HIPC debt relief program in the year 2001, at which time our debt to GDP ratio stood at 61%.

“As a matter of fact, our debt position this year is the worst ever in the history of our Fourth republican democracy,” he further added.

 

Continue Reading

NEWS

Mother of the four kids who died at Amasaman in a fire outbreak finally narrates what really happened

Published

on

Yesterday News of 4 kids who were burnt to death after an outbreak of fire at Amasaman broke the Internet.

The mother of the Four whom we identified as Sister Afia has denied the allegations that the eldest daughter was to be blamed for the untimely death of her four children.

The kids age, 7,9,13 and 16 died when the mother left the children to do for an all night in the Vicinity.

The eldest daughter together with the 3 other kids died with the children and according to the mother, she is hurt and heart broken listening to the comment that she was to be blamed.

Narrating the incident to Angel News, Sister Afia happens to be a reverend minister at the church said,”When they opened the building in the course of the fire, my daughter together with her other siblings were already dead”

“So if she left for her boyfriend’s house, how come she is part of the dead children? I am going through a lot so I dont like what they are saying about me and my daughter.

Narrating what happened, she revealed that her daughter asked her to take the lead and promised that she will come with her other siblings.

Thirty minutes later, a neighbor called to inform her about the fire outbreak.

“Upon seeing the fire, I instantly felt my children were dead” She was lucky to have left home with the last born before the fire outbreak”

 

Continue Reading

Let’s Get Social

Eye Witness Submit

Eyewitness? Send us your stories now via
WhatsApp : +233277301540 / 0246319949
Email : articles@modernnewsgh.com

Tweet with Us!

Trending