web analytics
Connect with us

NEWS

Drop highly inflated $366m Pwalugu dam project – NDC MPs to Akufo-Addo

Published

on


Members of Parliament (MPs) from the National Democratic Congress (NDC) have sent a message to the President of the Republic, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, demanding from him the immediate suspension of the US$366million Pwalugu Multi-purpose Dam deal which is currently before Parliament.

According to the NDC MPs, the cost of the project is highly inflated and must immediately be withdrawn for proper scrutiny before it commences.

“We maintain that the cost of the dam is highly inflated and unacceptable when compared to the cost of similar projects within and outside Ghana”, noted the Minority Leader, Haruna Iddrisu, who addressed a press conference in Parliament, Wednesday afternoon, over the dam project.

For instance, they said 6000MW capacity of a renaissance hydro dam built by Ethiopia cost them US$6.4billion at a unit cost of US$1million. Uganda on the other hand also built the 183MW Isimba dam at US$568million at a unit cost US$962million.

Further to that, the 660MW Kafue dam built by Zambia cost the nation US$600million at a unit cost of US$1million while that of the 187MW Gilgel Gibe III dam cost US$1.8billion at a unit cost US$1million.

The 400MW Bui Dam on the other hand, according to the Minority Caucus, also cost Ghana US$790million at a unit cost of US$1.9 compared to the US$366million 60MW Pwalugu Dam at a unit cost of US$6million.

“The Pwalugu dam at 60MW which is expected to cost a whooping US$366million is extremely exorbitant and unacceptable. What this mean is that the unit cost of the Pwalugu Dam will eventually amount to US$6million per Megawatt. The cost is highly inflated. It defies conscience relative to value for money and must be suspended for further scrutiny”, an emotional Haruna Iddrisu opined.

Another issue of concern to the NDC MPs is the manner at which the Government hurriedly commissioned the dam project when approval for the contract had not been approved.

They are also much concerned about the way and manner the contract was awarded to PowerChina International Group Limited, insisting that the processes lacked transparency and is an affront to the procurement laws of the land.

“How was PowerChina International Group Limited selected as the contractor for this project? What was the procurement process adopted? It is obvious that President Akufo-Addo is attempting to saddle the state with huge debts that have the dangerous potential of crippling this nation. Even more troubling is the secrecy and opaque manner in which the contract was supposed to have been awarded. How come local companies are not involved in a giant project such as this which in the words of the President is fully funded by the Ghanaian tax payer? Why is the Government not adopting an open competitive process? We are convinced that the strategy adopted by this Government to introduce the agreement at the closing hours of Parliament in December last year was a deliberate attempt to railroad the process and avoid through scrutiny”, noted the Minority Leader who was surrounded by his followers.

To them, there is no value for money in the said project and the earlier it is suspended for proper scrutiny the better for the Government.

Source: kasapafmonline.com

Advertisement PopCash.net
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NEWS

NAM 1 Attacked At Home Again?

Published

on

CEO of MenzGold Ghana Limited, Nana Appiah Mensah aka NAM 1 has expressed his dissatisfaction about how people are planning to take law into their hands following the saga revolving MenzGold.

In his latest post on Instagram sighted by modernnewsgh.com, the business mogul disclosed that some group of people are being incited to invade his home and office.

Hinting at a planned impending attack, Nana Appiah Mensah revealed the police have been informed and they will defend themselves when it deems necessary.

NAM1 believes the issue has been politicized especially how Ghanaians are calling on Nana Addo to come to their aid.

Read his post below;

“Regardless of the court proceedings, frozen accounts & assets, we’ve made significant payments & continue to do so. Yet due to politics, u’re inciting & inviting clients under the guise of they getting paid, when your real intention is to get them organized together with hired hoodlums to invade my home again and our offices this weekend.

“We have informed the police, we’re law abiding and so this time, shall defend ourselves fully as permitted by law. #GhanaShallProsper.”

 

Continue Reading

NEWS

Video Of Man Bathing In Public To Show His Appreciation To The NPP For The COVID 19 Free Water Initiative | Watch

Published

on

A man has been spotted bathing in public to show his appreciation to the NPP government for the free water initiative during the Coronavirus pandemic.

President Akufo-Addo during the emergency of Coronavirus in Ghana has come up with initiatives to lessen the burden of Ghanaians.

One of such initiatives is the free water for Ghanaians till the end of the year.

This initiative is to help Ghanaians cultivate the habit of washing their hands frequently which is one of the measures to help fight COVID 19.

Well, a gentleman in showing his appreciation to the ruling NPP government decided to bath himself in public.

In the video available to modernnewsgh.com, the man is seen covered in soap as he uses his sponge to rub himself in the full glare of everyone present.

 

Continue Reading

NEWS

One Dead, 3 Injured In Alabar Market Attack

Published

on

One person has been reported dead and three others have been injured after gunmen attacked the Alabar Market in the Ashanti Regional capital, Kumasi.

Citi FM reports that the men stormed the market on Friday, October 30, 2020.

The deceased has been identified as Anwar Hussain. He died on his way to the Manhyia Government Hospital, where the injured are also receiving treatment.

Sources say the three others are in a stable condition.

Six gunmen on motorbikes stormed the market, demanded money form traders at the market traders and took off with an unspecified amount of money, according to eyewitnesses.

 

Continue Reading

Let’s Get Social

Eye Witness Submit

Eyewitness? Send us your stories now via
WhatsApp : +233277301540 / 0246319949
Email : articles@modernnewsgh.com

Tweet with Us!

Trending