web analytics
Connect with us

NEWS

Rawlings offers GH¢25,000 bounty on Sogakope South Assemblyman’s killers

Published

on

Former President Jerry John Rawlings has offered an additional amount of GH¢25,000 to previous bounties on the killers of Sogakope South Assemblyman.

This is towards the release of reliable information which would lead to the arrest of killers of Marcus Adzahli last Sunday, as well as, for those who committed another violent robbery in Vume, also in the South Tongu District, about a month ago

The Regional Minister and the assembly had earlier offered GH¢10,000 each for the same purpose.

The former President expressed disgust at the trend of violent attacks in the South Tongu area, describing the killing of the Assemblyman as a politically related murder.

Mr Rawlings urged the residents to exercise their right to anger and protest, but not to express their anger in the wrong direction or through the wrong action.

The attackers of the Assemblyman refused to accept an offer of GH¢30,000 from the victim’s wife in a plea to save his life, insisting money was not the reason for the attack.

They subsequently snatched the money only after they had shot, stabbed and killed Adzahli.

The wife, sister and child of the deceased who were also injured in the attack are on admission at the District Hospital. The victim of the Vume attack a month ago is also currently on admission at the Dzodze Hospital.

Residents on Tuesday protested the failure of the police to act on the spate of violent attacks by blocking the Sogakope Bridge and besieging the police station, a situation that led to a confrontation with the police who shot and injured at least three demonstrators.

Aside the police, the Office of the former President has provided the following number for informants who wish to offer confidential information leading to the apprehension of all the assailants: 020 073 6637.

Source: 3news.com

Advertisement PopCash.net
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NEWS

Akufo-Addo speaks on James Town clashes

Published

on

President Nana Akufo-Addo has condemned the weekend clashes between supporters of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) and the National Democratic Congress (NDC) in the Odododiodio constituency.

For him, those without a message resort to violence and intimidation.

Addressing a durbar organised by the Ga Traditional Council at James Town as part of his tour of the Greater Accra region, President Akufo-Addo called for total rejection of electoral violence before, during and after the general election.

The NPP parliamentary candidate for the constituency, Nii lante Bannerman pledged to promote peace and appealed to his opponent to do same.

What was supposed to be a peace walk on Sunday turned bloody when NPP youth clashed with their NDC counterparts.

Reports suggest that the NDC, after hearing their opponents had canceled a ‘float’ due to time clash, hit the streets only to be greeted with stones and beer bottles.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Armed Robbers Play With Private Parts Of Our Wives – Nsuta Birim Drivers Cry

Published

on

Residents of Nsuta – Birim in the Sekyere Central District of the Ashanti region have said some armed robbers in the area have resulted in putting their fingers in the private parts of women in the area.

The armed robbers who operate on the Nsuta-Birim-Jeduako road according to the residents do not only rob them but use their fingers on the private part of their victims who are women.

Speaking to OTEC News Kwame Agyenim Boateng, commercial drivers who work in the area said they have grounded their vehicles for the past one week due to the rampant robbery cases recorded in the area.

They disclosed that robbers in the past months have consistently attacked drivers and traders with sophisticated guns and machetes killing three persons with one sustaining severe machete injuries.

“We are tired of the armed robbery operations in the area, they beat men with guns and machete after “fingering” our wives,” one of the drivers cried.

“We had to park our cars for over one week due to how the robbers were chasing us on daily basis, we have reported the matter to Nsuta police on several cases but nothing has been done about the situation.”

The situation they added has brought untold hardship to them as traders can no longer go about their normal trading activities to supply foodstuffs and goods in both Birim and Jeduako Communities.

The residents have therefore called on authorities in the area to help curb the menace for peace to prevail in the area.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Ghana Not Back To HIPC – Oppong Nkrumah

Published

on

Minister of Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, has debunked claims that Ghana has once again been ranked in the category of Highly Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC).

According to him, the numerous publications making rounds on social media purporting that the country has returned to HIPC is false.

Speaking at the Nation Building Updates on Tuesday in Accra, the Minister noted that because the country is approaching a general election in December, there is a deliberate attempt to discredit the work government has done since assuming office in 2017 to revive the economy.

He said “there are suggestions being spread particularly on social media that Ghana has been declared HIPC again and I am sure you would have noticed that a lot of persons are sharing materials on social media that the IMF or World Bank has declared Ghana HIPC or listed Ghana as one of the HIPC countries and it is a suggestion that the economy is not as good a shape that we claim it is.

“For the avoidance of doubt and because we have also mentioned that we are aware that some persons in the weeks ahead of the elections will seek to spread a lot of false information and fake news, it is important to quickly respond to it right here and right now. Categorically we say to you it is not true that Ghana has been declared HIPC or has been added to the list of HIPC countries,” he added.

The HIPC was a group of 39 developing countries with high levels of poverty and debt overhang who qualified for financial assistance from the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and other multilateral, bilateral and commercial creditors between 1996 and 2001. It was designed to ensure the reduction in the debt levels of poor and indebted countries.

TheMinister emphasized that the HIPC was a programme limited to a particular point in time that Ghana and a number of African countries applied, benefited, exited and was done with it.

“The publication out there list the countries that participated and qualified for it. Currently, there is no HIPC programme for any country to qualify for so if anybody is spreading that and adding to it a narrative that suggest that Ghana is now a highly indebted poor country and has been listed on an IMF or World Bank publication as such.

However, the Minister encouraged the general public to disregard such publications. He also admonished the media to be circumspect and thoroughly conduct background checks before publishing news items.

 

Continue Reading

Let’s Get Social

Eye Witness Submit

Eyewitness? Send us your stories now via
WhatsApp : +233277301540 / 0246319949
Email : articles@modernnewsgh.com

Tweet with Us!

Trending