Connect with us

Sports

Cristiano Ronaldo’s sexual assault case recommended for dismissal by a Las Vegas court

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo’s sexual assault case has been recommended for dismissal by a Las Vegas court after the Manchester United star was accused of raping former model Kathryn Mayorga in a hotel room in 2009.

The civil court in the US has ruled the historic accusations made by Kathryn Mayorga be thrown out.

‘We are pleased with the Court’s detailed review of this matter and its willingness to justly apply the law to the facts and recommend dismissal of the civil case against Mr. Ronaldo, ‘ said the forward’s lawyer Peter S. Christiansen.

The Portuguese footballer has always maintained his relations with Mayorga were consensual and a Nevada court has now recommended that the Portuguese’s motion for terminating the case be granted.

Mayorga’s legal team could yet object to the court’s recommendation for dismissal. Mayorga’s legal team has 14 days to object to the court’s decision.

The criminal case in relation to the allegation had already been dismissed by the Las Vegas District Attorney.

Back in June of this year Ronaldo’s legal team asked a federal court in the US to throw out the civil claim against him.

Lawyers for the Portuguese striker claimed Mayorga’s legal team gave ‘stolen papers’ to police in Las Vegas who were investigating claims.

In a scathing recommendation to the judge hearing the case, Magistrate Judge Daniel Albregts on Wednesday blamed Mayorga’s attorney, Leslie Mark Stovall, for basing the case on leaked and stolen documents that Albregts said were privileged communications between Ronaldo and his lawyers.

‘Dismissing Mayorga’s case for the inappropriate conduct of her attorney is a harsh result,’ Albregts wrote in his recommendation to U.S. District Judge Jennifer Dorsey.

‘But it is, unfortunately, the only appropriate sanction to ensure the integrity of the judicial process.’

According to legal papers lodged at the United States District Court in the District of Nevada, Ronaldo’s lawyers have been pushing for Ms Mayorga’s case to be dismissed since the summer over the conduct of her legal team.

Ms Mayorga has alleged that she was sexually assaulted in a Las Vegas hotel room following a night out with the footballer in 2009.

Ronaldo has continued to strongly deny the claim and today’s recommendation of case termination all but clears his name in a court of law.

According to The Mirror, Ronaldo settled a case with Ms Mayorga 12 years ago for £375,000.

She then sought to overturn that original settlement in 2018 and is now seeking more than £56 million in damages and costs.

In 2018, Ronaldo said: ‘I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything I am and believe in.’

Eye witness to any social issue,occurrence or any form of information you would like to share,kindly send us a report via email : editor@modernnewsgh.com or via Phone +233246319949

Sports

BREAKING: FIFA Throw Out South Africa’s Protest Against Ghana – Reports

Published

on

The World’s football governing body has thrown out the protest filed against Ghana by South Africa, according to reports in the local media.

Fifa has rejected South Africa’s protest against Ghana and Senegalese referee Maguitta Ndiaye following the 1-0 defeat a fortnight ago in the 2022 Fifa World Cup qualifiers, wontumionline.com understand.

The Black Stars were in a dire need of three points to top Group G and book their place in the playoffs while South Africa needed just a point, however, it was Ghana that had the last laugh.

See also  I Regret Playing For Ghana In 2008 Africa Cup of Nations – Asamoah Gyan Explains Why

Andre Ayew scored the only goal after referee Ndiaye awarded Ghana a penalty after Leicester City defender Daniel Amartey was heckled down in the penalty box but officials from South Africa believed that the referee was manipulated prompting a complaint to Fifa.

They further alleged that a Ghanaian official travelled to Senegal to meet referee Ndiaye before the game.

Although Ghana responded to the allegations on November 20, the official ruling has since not been released.

However, reports in the local media indicate that Fifa has rejected all the allegations levelled against Ghana and the referee and therefore, there will not be any replay as earlier anticipated.

Despite no evidence of match manipulation and fixing, Senegalese referee Ndiaye Maguette, however, will likely be punished with some games ban since his general performance was below average according to the match review panel.

Ghana will progress to the next stage of the competition and face either Senegal who is currently rye best-ranked county on the continent or Morocco.

There is also a possibility of the Black Stars facing Nigeria, Tunisia or Mali since these countries complete the top five ranked countries left in the qualifiers.

The official draw for the playoffs has been moved from December to January 2022 and the games have been scheduled for March 2022.

Eye witness to any social issue,occurrence or any form of information you would like to share,kindly send us a report via email : editor@modernnewsgh.com or via Phone +233246319949
Continue Reading

Sports

Cristiano Ronaldo has NEVER scored a Premier League goal against Chelsea

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo is undoubtedly one of the best players to have ever lived having become a goalscoring monster wherever he plays, seeing him collect countless trophies and individual accolades in the process.

His hard work and determination has made him a global icon as a result with his CR7 brand helping him become the most followed sports athlete on social media.

He’s a defender’s worst nightmare and is guaranteed goals, given he has scored an eye-watering 799 times in 1,095 games for club and country so far in his career.

Ronaldo currently holds the Guinness World Record for being the highest goalscorer ever in international football and is Real Madrid’s all-time leading scorer after a trophy-laden spell that saw him win four Champions League titles at the Bernabeu.

And after winning everything there is to win and scoring every goal there is to score, the question remains: is there anything he can’t do?

Well, actually, yes there is. It’s scoring against Chelsea in the Premier League.

In 10 top-flight outings against the Blues, Ronaldo has never scored against them and that barren run stretches to 14 games when you add in appearances against Chelsea in the FA Cup, League Cup and Community Shield.

In the Portuguese’s defence, his one and only goal against Chelsea came in the 2008 Champions League final when he opened the scoring in Moscow in the 26th minute before Frank Lampard levelled things up on the stroke of half-time.

While United went on to win the resulting penalty shootout, which is famously remembered for John Terry’s slip, Ronaldo was the only United player to have missed his spot-kick out of the seven players that took one.

The omens don’t look good for the 36-year-old, given how he has notoriously always struggled against the Blues and that stretch could continue this weekend when he and his United team-mates make the trip to the capital to face Thomas Tuchel’s men at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.

The now-sacked Ole Gunnar Solskjaer often looked to Ronaldo to pull United out of a hole this season but even the forward’s efforts weren’t enough after a number of dismal defeats – including a 5-0 hammering by Liverpool, a 2-0 loss by Man City and a 4-1 thrashing by Watford – eventually cost the Norwegian his job.

United’s caretaker boss Michael Carrick will be hoping to rely on Ronaldo when they face the reigning European champions at the Bridge on Sunday but if his record is anything to go by, Carrick may need to look elsewhere.

In the 1,187 minutes he’s played against the Blues, he’s just managed the one – albeit very crucial – goal against them, resulting in his worst minutes-to-goal by far against any of Europe’s top clubs.

That’s a staggering one goal in over 20 hours of football for one of, if not the best, goalscorer in football history.

Compare that to utterly ridiculous record against Atletico Madrid: in 35 games against the Spanish side – that has a reputation for being defensively sound – Ronaldo managed to score 25 goals past them, clocking up a crazy ratio of a goal every 120 minutes against them.

He had similar luck against Lionel Messi’s Barcelona during their famous Clasico duels, netting 20 times in 34 appearances against the Catalan side.

Ronaldo even managed to over a goal a game against the likes of Bayern Munich and former club Juventus, scoring nine goals in eight matches against the German giants and 10 goals in seven against the Old Lady.

Ronaldo has also found it effortless against top six sides in the Premier League, netting 11 times in 19 appearances against Spurs, six in 15 games against Arsenal and three in five against his current employers United.

But against Chelsea he has always struggled.

It must also be said that those 15 appearances against the Blues came for United before he hit the unbelievable goalscoring heights with Real Madrid and Juventus later on in his career.

And he did manage to grab a brace against the Blues for Real in a pre-season friendly in Miami back in 2013, which was most notable for Ronaldo doing his trademark ‘Siii’ celebration for the first time ever.

But friendly goals aside, that unwanted record and added pressure will be on his mind when he steps out onto the pitch at Stamford Bridge, especially given the crisis United currently find themselves in.

Chelsea are unbeaten in their last 10 games in all competitions and are currently sitting top of the Premier League table after 12 games, having won nine of those.

As it stands, Tuchel’s well-drilled Chelsea side are the undoubted favourites going into this Sunday’s crunch clash with United at the Bridge.

But if United are to have any hope or causing an upset, they are going to need their talismanic figure to break his duck in the league and end his unwanted streak that stretches all the way back to his first game against the Blues on November 30, 2003 – nearly 18 years to the day on Sunday.

Eye witness to any social issue,occurrence or any form of information you would like to share,kindly send us a report via email : editor@modernnewsgh.com or via Phone +233246319949
Continue Reading

Sports

Akufo Addo Pledges GH₵1M Support To Hearts For CAF Confederation Cup Campaign

Published

on

Ghana’s incumbent president, Akufo Addo has given Accra Hearts of Oak a 1 million cedi boost to support their CAF Confederation Cup campaign.

Graphic Online’s Donald Ato Dapatem reports that the President announced this when the Board of Directors of Hearts paid a courtesy call on him Tuesday [Nov 23] at the Jubilee House in Accra.

The Phobians will get their Confederation Cup campaign underway on Sunday, November 28, 2021 in Accra against Algerian JS Saoura in a play-off to qualify for the CAF Confederation Cup group stage.

The return leg is scheduled for December 5, 2021, in Algeria. Hearts were drawn against JS Saoura after they lost heavily to the Moroccan side Wydad Athletic Club.

The Ghana Premier League champions were walloped 6-2 on aggregate following a 6-1 humiliating defeat in Casablanca.

Eye witness to any social issue,occurrence or any form of information you would like to share,kindly send us a report via email : editor@modernnewsgh.com or via Phone +233246319949
Continue Reading

Download Our Android App

Connect With Us

Our Facebook Page

Trending 🔊

Copyright © 2019-2021.All Rights Reserved [ Built & Managed by The Modern Hub ]