The Ghana Football Association is set to receive $1 million in grants from FIFA after the world football governing body approved a $1.5 billion relief fund to help member associations impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The GFA will receive an extra $500,000 to support women’s football.
The GFA has already benefited $500,000 from FIFA’s early release of FIFA Forward Funds.
Gianni Infantino, the Fifa president, said the relief fund had been “unanimously approved” by the members of its council and insisted there would be “strict controls” on how the money is spent.
All 211 member associations will be entitled to a “basic solidarity grant” of $1m each as well as $500,000 which must be invested in women’s football.
Also, member associations can apply for a COVID-19 relief loan worth 35% of their revenue up to a maximum of $5 million each. Continental governing bodies will get $2 million as a relief grant, and can also apply for an extra $4 million relief loan.
Infantino promised “strict controls on the use of the funds, with audits”, and said there would be “very clear conditions” for how loans are repaid.
Fifa is financing the enormous relief fund by dipping into its reserves, with $328 million covering grants and $556 million to finance loans, Infantino said.
“Clubs and federations are in real danger. In some parts of the world, football has not restarted. We need to help them,” he said.
The creation of the relief fund had been announced by Fifa in March when football across much of the globe was halted as the pandemic spread.
The Zurich-based body had already announced in April that it would free up $150 million in subsidies to member associations to help deal with the consequences of the crisis.
“I’m motivated to get back into the ring, fight and win again” – Boxer Isaac Dogboe
Ghanaian-British professional boxer, Isaac Zion Dogboe, has said he is ready to fight again after taking a break from the sports a year ago.
The 25-year-old lost his WBO junior-featherweight title to Emmanuel Navarrete twice; first on December 8, 2018, then in an anticipated rematch, Dogboe lost again on 12th May 2019.
In an interview with Citi TV’s Godfred Akoto Boafo, Isaac Dogboe who has ‘Neho’ as his catchword said he is maturing in the game and upon a firm assessment believes he is ready to fight again.
I’m motivated to get back into the ring and get back to winning ways. So right now I’m just taking things slowly. I am starting to enjoy boxing again so right now that is a plus for me.
I have been able to sit back and look at things from other perspectives and really learnt a lot through this past year. Since the loss. I’m maturing in the game as well. It’s an achievement.”
In a tweet, the 2018 WBO junior-featherweight champion said he will be returning to the ring on 21st July 2020 in a bout against American pro boxer Chris Avalos.
Paul Dogboe, the boxer’s father and former manager in an interview with Joy FM said his son is in the right state and hands to make a superb comeback against Chris Avalos.
“You have to let the world know that truly you are back, you have everything. You have been out for a whole year.
“He has God on his side, great coach [Freddie Roach], and the best promoters, top rank. You have your destiny in your own hands we can just back you with our prayers.
“The only thing I have to tell him is to take his own destiny into his own hands. Daddy has brought you this far you have to do the rest now; you’re 25 years old. I’ve left him, he is with great people. I trust him and he’s going to do well”, he concluded.
Isaac Dogboe has fought 22 times, winning 20, with 14 of the wins being knockouts. He has lost only twice and it has all been against Emmanuel Navarrete.
His, opponent, Chris Avalos, 30, has 34 bouts under his name, winning 27 with 20 been knockouts and has lost six times.
Manchester City’s two-year Champions League ban lifted by CAS
Manchester City will play in the Champions League next season after the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) overturned the club’s two-year ban from European football.
Manchester City was handed the suspension by UEFA’s club financial control body in February for serious breaches of club licensing and financial fair play regulations.
The Premier League club vehemently denied any wrongdoing and appealed the decision at CAS last month, after previously describing the UEFA disciplinary process as “prejudicial”.
After hearing evidence over three days in June, CAS has now overturned the suspension – meaning City are free to compete in the Champions League next season, having secured second place in the Premier League with a 5-0 win over Brighton on Saturday.
Source: Sky Sports News
Asante Kotoko to represent Ghana in CAF Champions League while Ashantigold plays in CAF Confederations Cup
Asante Kotoko has been given the right to represent Ghana in CAF Champions League while Ashantigold plays in the CAF Confederations Cup.
Kotoko will be representing Ghana in CAF Champions League while Ashantigold plays in the Confederations Cup, an official report has it.
The Communication Director of the Ghana FA, Henry Asante Twum said in an interview that the Executive Council have settled on the two clubs to represent the West African nation in the CAF Champions League and Confederation Cup.
Henry Asante stated that the decision was made by the Executive Council of the Ghana FA after a marathon meeting held on Tuesday which has resulted in the cancellation of the 2019/20 football season.
“The decision to end the season was made today by the Executive Council of the FA. Asante Kotoko and Ashanti Gold SC are Ghana’s representatives for the 2020/21 CAF Inter-club competitions,” Asante told Accra-based radio station Angel 102.9 FM
“The Executive Council settled on the two clubs after the truncation of the 2019/20 Ghana Premier League season today”
“We will communicate the decision to the two clubs tommorow [Wednesday]. The runner-ups of the GFA Normalization Committee Special Competitions will be considered should any of the club decides not to play”.
Meanwhile, the entire Ghana Football Season has been cancelled by the Ghana FA Executive Council because of the impact of COVID-19.
Showbiz Gossip5 days ago
Woman Openly Allows Man To F!nger Her In A Bus (WATCH VIDEO)
NEWS7 days ago
4 Regions To Be On Partial Lockdown Due To Covid-19 Spike In Ghana
NEWS2 days ago
Information Minister reveals close contact of Akufo-Addo who tested positive for coronavirus
NEWS4 days ago
Full List of Senior High Schools in Ghana with COVID-19 Cases so far
Entertainment news1 day ago
Shatta Wale Blesses Medikal With Bundles Of Cash, Amounting To GHC10,000 As A ‘Breakfast’ Gift
NEWS3 days ago
Abbeam Danso reveals deep secret why all Ghanaian youths are going to Benin for sakawa
NEWS2 days ago
Kenndy Agyapong Reveal To Expose Bishop Who Is A Gay & Import Cigarette Into The Country
NEWS5 days ago
Education Minister reveals why he can’t Close down schools